Jun 5, 2005

That damned bike

It's out of commission - again. Was riding home from work on friday - in a light drizzle - when I went over a brick crosswalk and my tires slipped. Scary, but I was able to pull out before a crash happened. 100 feet later two things happened in the same instant: 1. I noticed that my rear wheel was wobbly, 2. My rear tube popped.

I called my wife to get the car and come rescue me, and while I was waiting I replaced the tube. After putting it in, I confirmed that the rim was indeed either bent or knocked out of true. When my wife arrived, we went straight to the bike shop and dropped it off for repairs. I'm so frustrated that I don't even want to deal with it anymore. The shop guy suggested that when it's not so busy I have them make for me a 36-hole rim (my current rim as 16 holes) that would be really beefy and would stand up to my weight much easier. I have no idea how much that would cost, but it might be worth doing.

I also have no idea when they'll get the bike back to me. I told him to take his time, I almost don't care anymore.

My left calf is still giving me problems when I run. I don't know what to do, I'm going to ask my shoe guy if maybe a custom orthotic would help. But I won't be able to do that until later this week. So for the time being, I am unable to run or bike, and I'm a little frustrated about it. Perhaps I'll load the baby in the backpack and walk around Rockland Lake.

Read an interesting bit in Runner's World the other day. A question was asked, "Do fat people sweat more than skinny people?" The answer was fascinating - for the same net result, say, running 3 miles in 24 minutes, a fat person would put out considerably more effort to do so, hence more sweat. If the skinny person put out that same amount of effort, the skinny person who is athletically trained would actually sweat more because their bodies are more efficient heat regulators.

No comments:

Post a Comment