Aug 15, 2006

10 miles today. 3 miles yesterday.

Yesterday, I set out to run 6 miles. I don't know why, but at an 11:30 pace, I was cooked at the first lap and had to bail out at three miles. Temps weren't bad, nutrition wasn't bad, water was ok.. it just sucked.

So today, I made up for it. I was scheduled to run 6 miles, so I added the three missing from yesterday, with interest - 10 miles total. Two normal laps of Rockland Lake followed by a 4-mile variation. 10 miles total, and I feel like I've been hit by a truck.

I just had an antioxidant cocktail.. smoothie with wild blueberries, with a blueberry yogurt base. I also added my normal mess of powder to the thing - metamucil, greens, etc., and took some antioxidant pills as well as salmon oil on the side.

Ok, the run - Like I said, it was ten miles. Temps were about 86ยบ, and due to a rainstorm this morning, humidity was higher than it had been. Conditions weren't exactly ideal. It didn't matter- I read this book this morning:


Which is chock full of quotes like "It's supposed to hurt - If it didn't hurt, you didn't work hard enough", "Instead of avoiding the pain, relish the pain", and "Pain is just weakness leaving the body." My favorite quote, however, is this one:
The highest form of competition is self-competition, and I was proving to be the cruelest of opponents, ruthlessly demanding more of myself, relentlessly doing battle with the road, with my own body, with my mind. Pain was my weapon of choice.
And the very next paragraph:
Yet even in the midst of the tremendous punishment being dealt to my body, I absolutely thrived on the raw intensity of this moment. Beneath the feelings of hopelessness and despair, never have I felt so alive, despite - or perhaps because of - the pain."


I finished that book and just wanted to go out and run farther than I ever have.. which was 9 miles last week. So 10 miles this week seemed appropriate. Maybe next week I'll do 12. Who knows?

All I know is that I was pissed off yesterday when I wussed out half-way through my run because it was too tough (b4 I started the book, by the way) - and elated after today's run despite not being able to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment