Apr 30, 2010

April Recap, May Goals

What I look like 5 minutes after running hard in a half-marathon. Photo by Carl Cox
April:
Ran 7 out of 30 days in 7 distinct workouts
Total Mileage: 40
Weight on April 30: 305.0

2010:
Ran 93 out of 12 days in 96 distinct workouts.
Total Mileage: 428

My stated goals for April:
"I don't know. I think I'm just going to run."

And, I guess, that's what I did.

Sitting here on April 30, it's easy to think that it was a total slacker month. And it was. But, looking at the individual workouts, there were some really tough ones - workouts where I actually accomplished something. Check this out:

* I ascended the Palm Springs Tram Road in under an hour (doesn't sound hard but it is)
* I ascended Bear Mountain via the AT in under a half-hour
* I got a 10-minute PR in a half-marathon

So really, the only place where I can legitimately say I slacked is in # of days off, total mileage, and nutrition. But boy, did I slack in those areas.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to May with eager anticipation. There is a 48-hour race where, as I said in a previous post, my goal is to run 100 miles. I'd also like to restart a streak, too. I don't know if it'll continue past the 48-hour race, but I'd sure like to try. My three streaks of 50 days or more ended with difficult ultras (50 days ended with the JFK 50-miler, then 60-something days ended with Damn Wakely Dam, then 80-something days ended with Umstead 100.) In my experiment-of-one, the only way I can maintain some sort of consistency is when I try to maintain some sort of streak. So it appears that's what I have to do, and I will start up again tomorrow, May 1.

And that brings me to May goals:
1. Run 31 out of 31 days
2. Run 100 miles at the 48-hour race, and 200 miles total
3. Weigh 280 on May 31, losing 25 lbs
4. Complete 5 ascents of Bear Mountain, including one double-ascent


New entries for Steve's blog are published every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 10:00am NY time

2 comments:

  1. Steve,

    I love the way you put your goals out there and reevaluate at the end of the month.

    Maybe you can go easier on yourself and just power walk a mile a day, might be less intimidating the day after a long race?

    :) Dusty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dusty,

    I'm not sure intimidation was a factor in any of the three streaks prior. Check it out: After JFK I never intended to continue the streak. After Wakely I was so badly chaffed that I could hardly walk! And after Umstead.. stomach issues. I was sick for two days. Power-walking - just so I have something to write in my log - would be a good idea though. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete