Jan 8, 2014

2014 week 1

A collection of random thoughts I have every day about my running and fitness.

Not promising to do this every day, or even every week.

In case you don't know, my 2014 new year's resolution is to post a photo of everything I eat on Instagram. You can follow along here: http://instagram.com/stevetursi

Jan 1
Lunch in Brooklyn before 2pm wake there. Very short run before getting on the road. I didn't eat pizza in the entire year of 2013, and today I ate 9 slices in two meals. Facebook status: "Pizza overload day!" Running streak day 1100.

Jan 2
Funeral + burial in the morning. Work in the afternoon. One of the coldest 1-mile runs of my life immediately after work. Ran to Nicky's, where I had 3 slices of pizza + 1 bite of Joey's slice. Half a pizza overload day?

Jan 3
Overnight blizzard and single digit temps in the morning. Naah. Afternoon temps were 11ºF at 4pm when I went to Ramapo Reservation to do 2.5 miles in the snow in 30 minutes. Kind of a crappy run, but enjoyable. No pizza today. At least not as of this writing. Average distance per day so far this year: 1.7 miles. Hah. Just a tiny bit short of the 5.5 miles I need every day to get 2000 miles this year.
"frozen tears"
Jan 4
Watchung Winter Trail Races! Showed up having no idea what I wanted to do. At least two laps, which is a half marathon. Could do up to 5, which is 50K. Surprise: I did just two. Hah! But what a fun two laps that was. It took almost 3:30! 1ºF at the start, maybe 15 when I finished. Beautiful day. 5 slices of pizza today. Here's my race report: http://stevetursi.blogspot.com/2014/01/rr-watchung-winter-trail-half-marathon.html

Jan 5
Woke up, and went to run with the tri club. I was late (by 2 minutes) and they had gone without me. Normally I'd be annoyed by this but seeing as it was 5ºF I couldn't blame them. I was also underdressed - due to the end of the laundry cycle I was wearing shorts. I would have been fine, but not very comfortable. So I turned around and went home, went to church, then went to the gym, where I knocked out 6 miles at under 9 minute pace. Solid, solid tempo run for me. Two slices of pizza for dinner, then bowling with Joey where I shot 215-184-190 for a 589 series.

Jan 6
My wife is taking a class called "Strength Foundations" and asked that I go with her. So what I wanted to do was this: Get to the gym at 11:30, run from 11:40 til 12:10, take a group exercise class at 12:15, shower, return to work. What I had to do because of work was this: Get to the gym at 12:05, get dressed as fast as I could, arrive at the group exercise class at 12:12, take the class, and then run a mile as fast as I could so I could get back to work. But since I had just taken a class with lots of squats, I couldn't run super-fast. 1.1 miles in 9:20, which when I do the math is actually 8:30 pace, which actually isn't that bad for me.

Jan 7
Went to Ramapo Reservation for a short half-hour jaunt on the trails during my lunch break. It was 6ºF at 1pm when I started! I would have liked to do my 4-5 mile loop but since I was on a time constraint (had to get back to work) I had to settle for about 2.5 miles in 30 minutes. The Res was a hockey rink, and my microspikes were great. I enjoyed breaking through the thick ice on my way up and seeing the cracks created by my steps on the way down. When I got to my car, I had ice mascara! I shot a photo and posted to facebook. This is my happy time of year. I really enjoy this.
Frozen Eyelashes
Wednesday morning thought - I've gone two whole days without pizza - I need to fix this - tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment