Jul 14, 2005

Clydesdales and Athenas

Running races around the country often have special divisions for large-framed men called "clydesdale" divisions. Recognizing that skinny small-framed people tend to run much faster than big-boned people, regardless of overall fitness, race directors added a division just for the big people. Men over 200 lbs compete against each other for prizes that the 140-lb jackrabbits are not eligible. There's a women's version of this, called "athenas." No, I am not making this up.

So I'm at about 325 lbs right now - as far as I know, there isn't a super-clydesdale division. If there were, I'd smoke the competition. I run 3 miles in about 32 minutes. Perhaps when I lose another hundred lbs I could actually be competitive in the clydesdale divisions. That would be interesting.

If I do win or place in any running races, I'll be sure to post about it here.

Training log:
Saturday July 9th: Intervals. 20x100meters, 3½ miles total.
Sunday July 10th: Easy run. 3 miles, 35 minutes
Wednesday July 13th: Test run. 3 miles, 32:10 (missed the PR by 30 seconds)
Rested Monday. Cross-trained Tuesday. Cross train or rest today. Long run tomorrow. Intervals sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment