Jun 24, 2010

Stress Test results

This blog post is intentionally late today, as this morning at 10:00 I was still in the Cardiologist's office.

Short answer: She could find nothing wrong with me.

An echocardiogram, a stress test (see picture above) and bloodwork were done and everything came back normal. The cardiologist stopped the stress test at 13 minutes because that was "long enough" (I could have gone longer.) In fact, everything is very good, except that they still don't know why my performance has decreased and my resting heart rate has increased. At the very least, we eliminated any problems with my heart, and I imagine that if I'm going to have a medical problem, I'd prefer that it not be a heart problem.

So - what is it? Very mysterious. Nothing blatant stands out. Overtraining has been suggested, so I took some time off running (a couple of weeks) and saw little improvement. Cutting out caffeine had no effect. All the bloodwork (thyroid, CBC, CMP, and lipid) came out great. Weight hasn't changed significantly. Age hasn't changed significantly. No significant change in diet or work/home stress life.

Maybe something endocrinological besides the thyroid? Perhaps my hypothalamus shit the bed after the caumsett/umstead 1-2 punch? Ultrarunners sometimes overwork their endocrine system and recovery from this type of fatigue apparently takes weeks after you start resting. I didn't think to ask if the bloodwork I had would pick this up, and I'm not sure she would know the answer to that anyway. I'm just shooting into the wind here. Honestly, I have a hard time believing an endocrinologically-caused scenario, but I suppose it's possible. What else could it be?

Whatever.

Wanna know my cholesterol numbers?

Total: 170 (Healthy range: 125-200)
HDL (good): 59 (Healthy range: >=40)
LDL (bad): 99 (Healthy Range: <130) 
Total Cholesterol to HDL ratio: 2.9 (Healthy Range: <= 5.0) 
Tryclycerides: 59 (Healthy range: <150) 

  New entries for Steve's blog are published on Mondays and Thursdays at 10:00am NY time