May 4, 2005

Bike arrives tomorrow, eager to get started..

Took a couple of weeks, but tomorrow, a package will arrive at my office from Marin Bikes, and, after assembly, I will be the proud father of a new (operational) bicycle.

needless to say, I'm psyched!

Anyway, since the bike doesn't come with pedals, I've had to make a decision as to whether to go clipless or platform (Based on spin class experience, I hate the pedal webbing "cages" you sometimes see.) When doing some web searches to get people's opinion, its clear that clipless pedals (where you wear special shoes with a cleat that clips into the pedal) are the way to go, especially on a road bike. The difference in efficiency is supposed to be amazing, because instead of just pushing down on a pedal, you can transfer power to the bike in a circle - adding about 25%, as it turns out, to your efficiency. "Hills that seemed like monsters before are just bumps now." "Once you go clipless, you never go back." "Even recreational riders should consider clipless."

As I saw it, the only problem with clipless pedals was the price obviously (not only are clipless pedals more expensive, but you also need special shoes), and more importantly, that you can't ride with clipless pedals with plain street shoes. I wanted the most efficient ride possible, but I also wanted to be able to ride a mile to the store without changing my shoes. After doing a little research, I found that there are some pedals that are both clipless and platform - They use both sides of the pedals to accomodate everyone. SO with that concern taken care of, I think that I am going to with a clipless pedal.

Just one day more.. hopefully they can assemble it quickly. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment