Jun 4, 2007

summary of minor league baseball in the NY area

Ok, I think I found all of the teams in the area.. For my selfish purposes as a resident of Rockland County, I left out everything pennsylvania (the closest PA team appeared to be scranton which is too far), in New Jersey I left out Trenton and points south, in Connecticut I left out anything east of New Haven, and in NY I left out anything north/west of albany and the catskills.

Minor League baseball is a hoot, especially the MLB affiliates. Much easier, cheaper, and relaxed than going to a major league game.

First off, we have affiliates of Major League Baseball
New York-Penn league (Class A Short Season division)
Staten Island Yankees everybody knows about this team.
Brooklyn Cyclones everybody knows this team, too. Mets affiliate.
Hudson Valley Renegades, the most interesting team to me because of its proximity to my house and the league they're in. Affiliate of the Tampa Bay DevilRays.
Tri-City ValleyCats NY Capitol region. Affliate of the Astros.

Eastern League (AA) - just one team within a couple hours of me:
New Britain Rock Cats Connecticut (northwest of New Haven). Affiliate of the Minnesota Twins.

Then we have independent leagues.
Atlantic League
Somerset Patriots in Bridgewater, NJ
The Long Island Ducks in Central Islip. Famous for John Rocker's brief stint there.
Bridgeport Bluefish Connecticut.
The Newark Bears

Canadian-American League
NJ Jackals in Little Falls NJ, probably the closest team to my house in terms of miles.
New Haven Cutters See this team the same day you sample the best pizza in the world (it's not in NY.)
Sussex Skyhawks Augusta, NJ (Northwest corner of the state)


The Atlantic Collegiate Baseball League is for College Baseball players in their offseason:
New York Generals in Newburgh, NY - probably the closest team to my house in terms of driving time.
Metro NY Cadets in Queens - they play at St. John's stadium.
Stamford Robins The closest CT team to NYC.
Long Island Mustangs Front Office is in Garden City, but they don't appear to have a home stadium - their home games are played in various places.
Jersey Pilots in Berkeley Heights, NJ (about 20 minutes west of Newark)

----

and if this completely bores you, check out this commercial, which is worth at least a chuckle

No comments:

Post a Comment