Apr 23, 2010

Listserv Gold Part VII - Early Morning Running

Ultrarunning Listserv Gold: I quote something I found inspiring, interesting, or generally valuable on one of the various ultrarunning email distribution lists I subscribe to. To view all editions of ULG, please click here.

Watching the sun rise during a run is immensely satisfying - Photo credit: Bill Rhodes

Brad L asks:
I've been telling my wife that I'm going to start running in the mornings, yet I never seem to be able to get myself out of bed and going... <snip> This would be a TOTAL change in my lifestyle. I'm an evening/night person and move ULTRA SLOW in the mornings. I do believe that it can be done, and
I know many of you folks have schedules similar to this.

Can anyone offer me some advice on how I can make these lifestyle changes?

Christine B responds:
Sorry but my advice (being a morning runner for 3+yrs) is just do it. Don't attempt long runs that force you out earlier than 5am. Start out determined to do it and you will reset your body clock. But be warned you may not see much of the evening. I may not be the best example but I rarely see 9pm weeknights. I run from my door 3-4 days a week and go off road on weekends. It was hard at first but is a routine that now works great. My alarm is set for 5am but my eyes open 4:45ish and I'm out the door after a glass of water and bite of a banana by 5:30 at the latest. All year round. Even in the dark, cold winter.

You can do it - start tomorrow.


New entries for Steve's blog are published every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 10:00am NY time

1 comment:

  1. Really the best thing to get me out of bed early other then on a race day is planning to meet with someone. Even if they are not going the same distance you can start out together and go from there. There are lots of people out there with the same problem so hopefully you can find an early morning running mate.

    ReplyDelete