Dec 18, 2010

Listserv Gold Part IX - Old Guys at Multidays

This post probably would have gone by unnoticed if Across the Years 72-hour wasn't looming less than two weeks away. Coincidentally (or perhaps not), the author is, once again, Joe Judd. I think this is the third or fourth time one of Joe's posts have made ULG.
from joe judd
to UList List
date Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 5:26 PM
subject Re: 60 year old peeps (not the Easter candy)

If any of you folks decide to get yourself into a 72 hour, or a six day, you better watch out for those 'old guys'. They'll kick your butt. Oh sure, you may be young and fast. But by the middle of day two, you'll be heading to a comfy room to lick your wounds, thinking "I'm happy with my miles." Meantime, the metronomes will be out there, patiently moving forward.

I talked to Ed Rousseau at a 72 hour. I believe he was 69 or 70 at the time. He told me that he had stopped twice during the race. Once because he had been out in a driving rain overnight and just couldn't get warm. So he sat in the heated car for 20 minutes. His other stop was 10 minutes sitting in a chair. That's over 72 hours! I arrived on the final day of the race for the 24 hour. I never saw him moving at more than a brisk walk. But Ed NEVER stopped, while people one third of his age were crying for mommy and calling it a day.
Ultrarunning Listserv Gold: Where I quote something I found inspiring, interesting, or generally valuable on one of the various ultrarunning email distribution lists I subscribe to. To view all editions of ULG, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment