Jun 22, 2006

I think I just hurt my shoulder

Trinity Softball is 5-0. woot.
I think I might have hurt my shoulder. oops.

It was an event I won't soon forget.. Softball has 7 innings total, and it was the top of the seventh. we were up by 1 run. 1 out. There was a runner on second and I was up to bat. I hit a fly ball over the right-fielder's head, but not too deep. Since it's astroturf, he had a good distance to run after it (but not too much) and I knew I had three bases automatically. Rounding third, I see that he's just getting to the ball so I break for home. I see the ball coming in and see that it's going to be close, so I do a head first dive for home plate. On astroturf. I have one focus - stick my right arm on the plate and keep it there - and that's what happened, aided by the marvelous friction of the turf. Problem was that the rest of my body had too much forward momentum while my forearm was firmly planted on the turf, and when that happens, bad things occur at the place where the arm and the rest of me come together. I felt a severe pain in my shoulder and I just laid there for a moment. I knew I was safe. Hearing the concerned voices of teammates and the blue, and not wanting to keep them concerned, I said I'm ok and got up.

The opposing team would go on to score 2 runs in the bottom of the seventh - So while we scored four more runs after mine, my run was the one that kept us ahead of the game. Since we were ahead anyway, I don't feel like I hit the game winning run, but everyone was giving me credit for it. I was gracious, said thanks and took high-fives.

Now I'm at work (I had to scurry off after the game for a 9PM conference call with Tokyo) and I just raptured the plastic bag out of a trashcan for a makeshift ice-pack. I also have ibuprofin, which I'm avoiding taking right away because I'm trying to assess the damage. It seems that I have a full range of motion in the shoulder, and I'm taking that as a good sign. Any movement exacerbates the pain though, and I don't really know what that means at this point.

I am going to be here for the rest of the night (graveyard shift here is primetime for the asia markets, and I have to support them. Conveniently, I'll also be here when London starts up, so I can support them, too.)

By morning I should know if this is something that I can ignore and it'll go away, or if it's something more serious.

The team we played was 1-4, but they were also a division 2 team (we're division 3) - so this was definitely one of the unknowns for the season. As I see it, there is only one more unknown: If we can get past tomorrow's team, which is division 3, in a different league, and also undefeated at 2-0, we have a great shot at going undefeated for the rest of the season, because every other team we're playing is in the same league as us. They've all lost to teams that we've already beat.

-steve

No comments:

Post a Comment