Feb 8, 2010

2010

My schedule for 2010 is slowly coming together. I have a solid year of already-confirmed races that I'm registered for, a couple that I'm seriously considering, some that I'd like to do but probably won't, and one or two that I might go to, but not run.

Monday February 15th (definite)
Old Croton Aqueduct Run
This is not a race, but an informal gathering of runners who would like to run the entire length of the Old Croton Aqueduct, from the Croton Dam to the site of the reservoir in New York City (42nd between 5th and 6th - Bryant Park and Library). If you'd like to come with us, even if you don't want to do the entire course, consider yourself invited!

Saturday March 27
Umstead 100-mile Endurance Run (definite)
This is the race that has occupied my thoughts for the last six months. 100 miles. Enough said. How I do at Umstead will determine much of the rest of the year for me.

Saturday April 10
Irvine Lake Mud Run (maybe)
There's an outside chance that I will be in California that day. If so, I'll be at this race.

Sunday April 18
Hook Mountain Half-Marathon (definite)
Local race, I'll be running it with some friends. I've done this race before, and the major feature of it is the giant hill at mile 9. It's short but very steep. I'll be power-walking the hill, and once again probably passing people trying to run it.

Saturday May 8
Long Island Greenbelt 50K/25K (maybe)
I like this race, especially the atmosphere. It's totally laid back and a lot of fun. However, I don't know how it's going to fit in my schedule.

Fri-Sun May 14-16
3 Days at the Fair 48-hour race (definite)
My first timed event, this is going to be a bit of a "baptized by fire" introduction to the genre. 1-mile loop for 48 hours is not going to be easy, and I'm really interested in seeing how I'll do.

Saturday June 19
Ride To Montauk (probable)
100-mile mostly flat bicycle ride. I've done it once before, and it was fun enough to want to do again, especially if I have friends doing it with me.

Mon-Tues July 11-12
Badwater crew (maybe)
This depends one two factors: 1. will Tony get into the race, and 2. will he choose me (out of lots of interested people) to be on his crew. Unlike most crew candidates, I have no intention of ever running Badwater, but I do want be there to see what it's like. Either way, I intend to join Tony for a trip up Mount Whitney on July 14.

Saturday July 24
Damn Wakely Dam 32.6 miler (probable)
It's neat that this race is 32.6 miles through pristine Adirondack wilderness without any cross roads or support of any kind, but the real appeal to me is the laid back atmosphere of this event.

Sunday August 8
Turkey Swamp Race Day (maybe)
I have volunteered at this event for the last two years, and this year may actually opt to run it.

Saturday-Sunday September 4-5
Grand Teton 50M or 100M (maybe)
In the past, it was a foregone conclusion that I'd be here. It's my favorite race. Awesome people. Problem is, it's kind of far, kind of remote, and thus kind of expensive. And there are other races I want to do. We'll see.

Saturday-Sunday October 23-24
Javelina 100M (definite)
This event looks like a lot of fun, and I have a lot of friends running it. It's in the Arizona desert, and that's new to me. I may go into this intending to do only 100K. We'll see how the year turns out.

Sunday Nov 7
NYC Marathon (lottery)
I really enjoyed the NYC marathon last year. I'd like to do it again. We'll see what happens with the lottery. I don't have much luck with lotteries, so this is not a likely race for me.



New entries for Steve's blog are published every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 10:00am NY time and can be seen at http://www.tursi.com

No comments:

Post a Comment